Commercial rabbits are classified according to their weight or hair. The weight categories are small (1.4 to 1.8kg), medium (4 to 5.4kg), and large (6.4 to 7.3kg).
- For meat production, medium-weight New Zealand Whites, Californians, etc. are available.
- For laboratory use, the breed will depend on the specifications of the customer. Angora rabbits are the only breed used for wool production.
- Typical part-time enterprises consist of 50 to 100 rabbits. A full-time enterprise should have at least 600 females (does) and 60 males (bucks).
- Each doe produces 25 to 50 live rabbits a year, which will yield 125 to 250 pounds of meat. Angora breed produces 8 to 10 inches, or 12 to 16 ounces, of wool per year.
- Our commercial rabbits are well packaged for comfort during transit and available for nationwide delivery.
Showing all 7 results
Rabbits provide meat and additional by-products. They offer the health attributes of consuming white meat with low-fat content.
- Laboratory rabbit production has the potential to be a very profitable enterprise, but the requirements for entering the market make it difficult to become established.
- When producing for laboratories, hospitals, or universities, you must be licensed and must meet the requirements for the breed, age, weight, and any other characteristics that are specified.
- You must raise the animals under controlled conditions, and the facility must be highly sanitary and strictly monitored.
The rabbitry should be an enclosed building that has proper ventilation, lighting, heating, and cooling systems. Heating and ventilation are crucial because rabbits do not tolerate temperature extremes very well. You should maintain the herd on a year-round schedule of 12 hours each of light and darkness to keep the rabbits breeding throughout the year. The rabbitry should be clean, well managed, and free of any health problems. Purchase rabbits that will produce large, but not huge, litters (8 to 10 kits), raise a high percentage of their offspring to maturity and produce good-quality animals.