Cowpea’s high protein content, its adaptability to different types of soil and intercropping systems, its resistance to drought, and its ability to improve soil fertility and prevent erosion make it an important economic crop in many developing regions. The sale of the stems and leaves as animal feed during the dry season also provides a vital income for farmers.
Cowpea Seeds | IT610-2E | Per kg
Affrimash offers Cowpea Seeds | IT610-2E which is an improved variety of Cowpea.
Cowpea Seeds | IT610-2E
This new variety of cowpea seeds IT610-2E is an improved variety that has been bred for resistance against a wide range of insect pests including Maruca vitrata.
The IT610-2E variety of cowpea resists insect pests, enables farmers to significantly reduce pesticide applications, and harvest bigger yields
IT610-2E was developed by scientists at the Institute for Agricultural Research (IAR), Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria in collaboration with various partners under the coordination of the African Agricultural Technology Foundation
IT610-2E was bred for resistance to Maruca vitrata, a lepidopteran insect pest that causes up to 90 per cent yield loss in severe infestation cases.
This new variety is early maturing (70 – 75 days) with semi-erect growth habit and photoperiod insensitive and has medium-large white seeds. It is also resistant to Striga and Alectra, two notorious parasitic weeds.
Cowpea is a food and animal feed crop grown. The grains contain 25% protein and several vitamins and minerals. The plant tolerates drought, performs well in a wide variety of soils, and being a legume replenishes low fertility soils when the roots are left to decay.
Cowpea is a warm-season crop well adapted to many areas of the humid tropics and temperate zones. It tolerates heat and dry conditions but is intolerant of frost. Germination is rapid at temperatures above 65°F; colder temperatures slow germination.
Cowpea performs well on a wide variety of soils and soil conditions but performs best on well-drained sandy loams or sandy soils where soil pH is in the range of 5.5 to 6.5.
Specification: Cowpea Seeds | IT610-2E | Per kg
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think...
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review. Log in now
For more information on our shipping options, click here.
- A refund should be sought only if your issue is not resolved within a reasonable time frame.
- Change of Price or Unavailability of a Product: In the case of a change in price or unavailability of a product, you could change your order or request that we send your money to your store credit with Afrimash (that is your Afrimash Wallet). Then, you can use the money to shop on Afrimash later. There is no cash refund for store credits.
- Refunds are approved only after the conditions required for refund are met. When there is no other alternative, a refund will be processed within 3-5 working days.
- To request a refund, after you are logged into Afrimash.com, go to My Account > Orders > Support ... for the order in question. Enter the details of your request and send.
Cancellation / Return / Exchange Policy
- Items eligible for return are only prompted after due consultation with our Customer Experience and Logistics Department before commencing the return process once approved.
- When returning an item, ensure all seals, tags and accessories are left intact and item is in its original packaging.
- We recommend that you keep the original carton and packaging material for a smooth and easy return.
There are no inquiries yet.
You may also like…