Brazilian Cashew Seedlings (Jumbo | Medium Varieties)
Cashew seedlings are available for planting. varieties include the medium and Jumbo Brazilian type.
- High yield hybrid cashew seedlings.
- Maturity period; 5 years.
- Produces medium and jumbo size nuts.
- Highly resistant to diseases.
- Kindly be informed you need to book ahead and expect your delivery within 9 weeks
Brazilian Cashew Seedlings
There are three main varieties which are Brazilian cashew, Chinese cashew and Indian cashew. Brazilian cashew is mostly grown in Nigeria.
- Cashew is highly cross-pollinated and vegetative propagation is mainly recommended on a commercial scale to produce true to type planting materials.
- The nuts can be sowed 3 – 4 per hole or raised in the nursery and transplanted in the field.
- After the establishment, the plants are thinned to one healthy and vigorous plant per stand.
- Cashew can be propagated by seedlings, air layers and softwood grafts.
PROPAGATION BY SEEDLINGS
Selection of mother trees
Selected mother trees should be of good health, vigorous growth and intensive branching habit with panicles having high percentage of hermaphrodite flowers. The trees should bear nuts of medium size and weight (5-8 g/nut) with an average yield of 15 kg nuts per annum and 7-8 nuts per panicle.
Raise seedlings in polythene bags during May. Soak seed nuts in water for 18 to 24 hours to hasten germination. Sow the pre-soaked seed nuts in polythene bags filled with garden soil at a depth of 2-3 cm with the stalk end up. Seeds germinate in seven to ten days.
Selection of seed nuts
Fresh seed nuts should be collected during the peak period of harvest in February-March and sun-dried for 2-3 days.
- Medium-sized nuts of 7-9 g should be selected in order to get uniform and vigorously growing seedlings.
- The sun-dried, graded seeds should be treated with carbaryl (5g/Kg of seeds) before storing them in gunny bags or polythene bags.
Preparation of potting mixture
Prepare the potting mixture in the proportion of one part red soil, one part sand and one part compost in heavy rainfall areas and one part red soil, one part compost in low rainfall areas and mixed with little quantity of rock phosphate (10g/2Kg of potting mixture).
Sowing of seeds
The seednuts should be soaked in water for 12-24 hours before sowing in order to get good germination. At the time of sowing the soil should be moist and loosened in the polythene bag. Sow the seeds at a depth of not more than 2.5 cm and cover with little soil.
- The seednuts usually germinate within 15-20 days after sowing. Seed bed may be mulched with paddy straw till germination takes place and partial shade may be provided during summer months. To control pests while seeds germinate, malathion 5% dust, or spraying of chloropyriphos (durmet 20 EC: 0.05%) should be applied.
- A fertilizer dose of 750 g N, 325 g P2O5 and 750 g K2O per plant is recommended for cashew. Apply 1/5th dose after the completion of first year, 2/5th dose during second year.
- Pineapple is the most profitable inter-crop in cashew plantation in the early stages of growth.
- A spacing of 7.5 m x 7.5 m has been recommended for poor soils, and for rich, deep and coastal sandy soils a wider spacing of 10 m x 10 m is prescribed.
- The fruits will be ready for harvest in about two months after fertilization of the flowers.
Specification: Brazilian Cashew Seedlings (Jumbo | Medium Varieties)
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
For more information on our shipping options, click here.
- A refund should be sought only if your issue is not resolved within a reasonable time frame.
- Change of Price or Unavailability of a Product: In the case of a change in price or unavailability of a product, you could change your order or request that we send your money to your store credit with Afrimash (that is your Afrimash Wallet). Then, you can use the money to shop on Afrimash later. There is no cash refund for store credits.
- Refunds are approved only after the conditions required for refund are met. When there is no other alternative, a refund will be processed within 3-5 working days.
- To request a refund, after you are logged into Afrimash.com, go to My Account > Orders > Support ... for the order in question. Enter the details of your request and send.
Cancellation / Return / Exchange Policy
- Items eligible for return are only prompted after due consultation with our Customer Experience and Logistics Department before commencing the return process once approved.
- When returning an item, ensure all seals, tags and accessories are left intact and item is in its original packaging.
- We recommend that you keep the original carton and packaging material for a smooth and easy return.
There are no inquiries yet.