Swiss Chard Fordhook | 25g
Swiss chard, B. vulgaris, is a type of beet. But instead of featuring a well-developed and flavorful root, its claim to fame is glossy puckered leaves veined with bright white, orange, magenta, red, or yellow, with firm stalks to match.
This product is available for delivery nationwide. Make a purchase today!
Fordhook is a faster-growing Swiss chard variety. It has white petioles with large, semi-savoy, green leaves. It is a bolt tolerant variety and has an upright plant habit. Fordhook is the perfect choice for fresh market growers or home gardeners. This variety is a product from Dizengoff Nigeria.
GROWING CONDITIONS FOR SWISS CHARD FORDHOOK
Chard can be grown from early spring through fall, and year-round in mild climates. It is tolerant of a broad range of growing conditions and soil types but grows best on silt-loam or sandy-loam soils with a pH of 6.0–7.0. Maintain uniform soil moisture for the most tender leaves, but avoid waterlogging. Chard grows best during the 60–70°F days and the cool nights of spring and fall. While heat tolerant, it should be grown in partial shade in hot climates.
GROW GUIDE SEED:
Chard is most commonly direct seeded but may be transplanted. Direct seed beginning on the last spring frost date. Plant seeds ½–¾ inch deep, 2–3 inches apart, allowing 12–18 inches between rows. Seeds germinate in 7–12 days. Thin to 8–12 inches apart as the plants get larger (you can eat the thinnings). To start seedlings indoors, fill starter trays with a sterile seed starting mix. Plant 2 seeds per cell, 1/2 inch deep. The ideal soil temperature for germination is 65–75°F. Thin to 1 plant per cell. Harden-off seedlings for 5–7 days prior to transplanting. After the last frost, transplant 3–4 week old seedlings outside in a fertile garden bed 8–12 inches apart, allowing 12–18 inches between rows. Be careful not to disturb the roots when transplanting.
Chard is a relative pest and disease-free crop. Practice crop rotations to prevent Cercospora Leaf Spot and other soil-borne diseases. Use row covers to exclude leaf-miners, or crush them in the leaf. Protect young seedlings from slugs and snails.
Harvest chard continuously a few leaves at a time starting at the bottom of the plant while the leaves are tender. Leave the newly forming leaves at the top to keep growing. Delicate chard leaves are best used right away but will keep a few days in the refrigerator.
Specification: Swiss Chard Fordhook | 25g
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think...
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review. Log in now
For more information on our shipping options, click here.
- A refund should be sought only if your issue is not resolved within a reasonable time frame.
- Change of Price or Unavailability of a Product: In the case of a change in price or unavailability of a product, you could change your order or request that we send your money to your store credit with Afrimash (that is your Afrimash Wallet). Then, you can use the money to shop on Afrimash later. There is no cash refund for store credits.
- Refunds are approved only after the conditions required for refund are met. When there is no other alternative, a refund will be processed within 3-5 working days.
- To request a refund, after you are logged into Afrimash.com, go to My Account > Orders > Support ... for the order in question. Enter the details of your request and send.
Cancellation / Return / Exchange Policy
- Items eligible for return are only prompted after due consultation with our Customer Experience and Logistics Department before commencing the return process once approved.
- When returning an item, ensure all seals, tags and accessories are left intact and item is in its original packaging.
- We recommend that you keep the original carton and packaging material for a smooth and easy return.
There are no inquiries yet.
You may also like…