Heterobranchus Broodstock (H. longifilis Mature Male)
The Heterobranchus longifilis male broodstock is crossed with matured female Clarias gariepinus to obtain the Heteroclarias spp hybrid of catfish. This broodstock is huge and longer than conventional species, thus it transmits these attributes to the offspring/fish seed.
- You can order for the matured male broodstock. Each weighs about 13 to 18kg on average, 30 to 36 months of age and above, ready to use (allow for a 3-day rest period to reduce stress).
- The broodstock is packaged in water filled and reinforced wooden boxes (price of packaging increase with an increase in order quantity).
- Bulk orders attract discounts.
Broodstock (broodfish) are mature fishes used in aquaculture for breeding purposes and are often used for replacement for, or enhancement of, seed and numbers.
As fish are generally cheap, rich in protein and high in macro and micronutrients, they are a recommended alternative to other meat sources. Thus, the need to increase fish seeds result in the development of artificial propagation by induced breeding. This not only helps to develop a larger quantity of fish seed but help introduce newer and comparably superior strains by selective breeding and hybridization of the parent stock.
Clarias gariepinus and Heterobranchus sp. are the two commonly cultured clariid fishes in Nigeria with good commercial value. Their attributes include
- Rapid growth rate, high resistance to disease, tolerance to adverse environmental conditions, ability to feed on a wide range of feed and capacity to withstand harsh environmental conditions.
This covers three particular aspects of the rearing process:
- The selection of fish with desirable hereditary qualities
- The selection of fish with well-developed sexual organs.
- The rearing of these selected fish to produce healthy potential spawners, with dormant eggs well developed in the females.
Broodstock production ensures maximum fry output by controlling environmental conditions such as photoperiod, temperature, and pH in artificial or natural habitats. It is a profitable venture whereby fishes can be offered for sale and also used for personal production of fingerling/juveniles.
Prospective breeders-who are often a suitable market for broodstock purchases- are often advised to run grow-out and broodstock production alongside. This will ensure quality seed production, good reputation for future customers as well as multiple sources of income.
Tips for broodstock management
- Separate males and females while stocking as this helps facilitate regular assessment of their performance.
- Provide well-formulated protein-rich diet for selected broodstock to enhance production of quality eggs and spermatozoa. Readily formulated broodstock feed should be purchased.
- Do not overstock fishes in a pond.
The males are easily recognized by their distinct sexual papilla/penile shaft (elongated with red tip and located on the ventral aspect). Also, they have bigger heads and thicker barbels.
Specification: Heterobranchus Broodstock (H. longifilis Mature Male)
|Ready to Ship|
No ratings have been submitted for this product yet.
Our goal at Perazin Gihon Agrovet is to make you a happy customer. We cherish long-term business relationship and place premium on your satisfaction.
No matter where you are in Nigeria, we will send your products to you and stand by you to make sure you succeed. As long as you buy from us, you can be sure of top quality and timely delivery.
No shipping rates are available for this product.
If shipping amount is not explicitly stated or incorrect, we will contact you about shipping costs immediately after ordering directly.
We guarantee you of "zero risk purchase" experience in our shop. We do our best to ensure every customer is very satisfied by our products. We ensure you get exactly what you order for and also make sure you get your items in time. We accept returns if you send us a message within 24 hours of receiving our products. If your message comes later than 24 hours, we would have to strike a bargain.