Okra Hire Seeds | Hybrid 500g
Okra Hire is compact and productive okra, even in hot conditions. This variety, coming from the Ivory Coast, produces compact octagonal fruits with thin endings. It remains very productive even under hot conditions. The fruit is compact with a thin ending, Octagonal shape, Slightly hairy, and dark green. The fruit matures between 60 to 65 days after sowing (according to climate and country conditions)
Okra Hire is compact and productive okra, even in hot conditions. This variety, coming from the Ivory Coast, produces compact octagonal fruits with thin endings. It remains very productive even under hot conditions.
Features of Okra Hire
- FRUIT: Compact with the thin ending, Octagonal shape, Slightly hairy, Dark green
- MATURITY: 60 to 65 days after sowing (according to climate and country conditions)
- CROP CYCLE: 110 to 150 days (according to climate and country conditions)
- PLANT: Branched, Green to dark green stems with red spots
- LEAVES: Dark green with red veins, Bicolour petiole
- Prior to planting, soak the okra seeds in water for 12 to 18 hours to soften their hard seed coat. Soaking aids moisture absorption and germination.
- Plant okra in the spring or early summer once the threat of frost has passed. To prevent the seeds from rotting, the soil should have warmed to at least 65 degrees. Gardeners in cool regions may want to start okra seeds indoors in peat pots four to six weeks before the area’s final frost date.
- If buying okra plants, purchase those that are started in containers such as peat pots that can go into the ground. Disturbing okra’s roots hampers growth.
- Okra can grow from three to six feet tall. Choose a garden spot where its shade will not harm other sun-loving plants. Sow the seeds one inch deep in rows that are three feet apart. The seeds generally germinate in two to 12 days. Okra will grow in many soil types, so mulch and fertilize as needed.
- Once the plants start to grow, thin them so they are spaced 12 to 18 inches apart.
- Okra thrives in the full, hot sun. Regular watering is needed and is particularly critical during flowering and pod development. During extended dry spells, a weekly deep soaking is beneficial.
- Crop rotation and good soil management help control diseases. Okra is susceptible to wilt, root-knot nematode, and Southern stem blight. It is not unusual for okra to attract various beetles and worms. Watch regularly for infestations and treat them appropriately.
- Okra reaches maturity in 50 to 65 days. The plants can produce for ten to 12 weeks. It grows and bears seed pods until frost, which quickly turns them black and kills them.
- Start harvesting a few days after the okra blooms fade. At that point, the seed pods should be soft and two to three inches long. Pick the pods at least every other day, as they quickly turn from tender to tough the bigger they grow. Handle okra gently. The pods bruise easily.
- Remove old seed pods so they do not inhibit new pods from developing. For maximum yield, prune older limbs beneath the already harvested pods.
- All okra varieties have spines, so wear gloves when picking the pods. The spineless varieties have fewer spines on the pods themselves, but spines on other parts of the plant make wearing gloves and long sleeves a good idea.
Storing And Using Okra Hire
- Do not wash okra. Wet pods become slimy and mould quickly. Refrigerate dry okra in perforated plastic bags. Use within a few days before the pods’ ridges and tips start to turn dark.
- Because of the long growing season and hearty production, four or five plants usually produce enough okra for most families. More plants may be needed, though, to can or freeze okra for use during the winter.
- While old seed pods cannot be eaten, they are perfect for dried flower arrangements.
Specification: Okra Hire Seeds | Hybrid 500g
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
For more information on our shipping options, click here.
- A refund should be sought only if your issue is not resolved within a reasonable time frame.
- Change of Price or Unavailability of a Product: In the case of a change in price or unavailability of a product, you could change your order or request that we send your money to your store credit with Afrimash (that is your Afrimash Wallet). Then, you can use the money to shop on Afrimash later. There is no cash refund for store credits.
- Refunds are approved only after the conditions required for refund are met. When there is no other alternative, a refund will be processed within 3-5 working days.
- To request a refund, after you are logged into Afrimash.com, go to My Account > Orders > Support ... for the order in question. Enter the details of your request and send.
Cancellation / Return / Exchange Policy
- Items eligible for return are only prompted after due consultation with our Customer Experience and Logistics Department before commencing the return process once approved.
- When returning an item, ensure all seals, tags and accessories are left intact and item is in its original packaging.
- We recommend that you keep the original carton and packaging material for a smooth and easy return.
There are no inquiries yet.
You may also like…