Clarias Spp Fingerlings
The Clarias spp is well recommended for farmers raising smoked catfish or fish farmers who raise their fishes for two to six months. They attain a weight of 1kg within 5 to 6 months. The Ijebu size fingerlings are about 4 weeks old and are about 3 to 4 cm in length.
Clarias Spp Fingerlings
The Clarias Spp fingerlings have given a great boost to aquaculture and impacted the livelihoods of many catfish farmers. The Clarias spp. can adapt to a wide variety of environments and is very tolerant of extreme water conditions.
- You will recognize the Clarias gariepinus by their cylindrical body with scaleless skin, small eyes, elongated spineless dorsal fin, and flattened bony head. The adult males are easily recognized by their distinct sexual papilla just behind the anus.
- They appear greyish black in color with a creamy-white underside.
- The Clarias spp. (African Catfish) are cannibals. Hence, farmers need to properly sort them into different sizes and put them in the appropriate ponds.
Handling Clarias Spp Fingerlings
- Handling live African catfish is easy because, as long as the skin remains wet, they can stay alive for many days out of water.
- Depending on fish size and market demand, the fish may be steaked; filleted; or sold headed, gutted, and skinned.
- Male African catfish exhibit the best dressing and fillet percentage.
- Compared to other species, C. gariepinus is low in lipid and consequentially has no intense flavor (smell and taste).
- Smoked African catfish are also in high demand be because they can be stored for longer periods without power while retaining nutritional quality.
- These fish are remarkably resilient.
Morphological characteristics of catfish
- Body elongate.
- Head large, depressed, and bony with small eyes.
- Narrow and angular occipital process; gill openings wide; air-breathing labyrinthic organ arising from gill arches; first gill arch with 24 to 110 gill rakers; cleithrum pointed, narrow with longitudinal ridges and with sharpness.
- Mouth terminal, large. Four pairs of barbels are present.
- Long dorsal and anal fins; without dorsal fin spine and adipose fin.
- Anterior edge of pectoral spine serrated.
- Caudal fin rounded.
- Colour varies from sandy-yellow through gray to olive with dark greenish-brown markings, belly white.
Specification: Clarias Spp Fingerlings
Share your thoughts!
Let us know what you think...
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review. Log in now
For more information on our shipping options, click here.
- A refund should be sought only if your issue is not resolved within a reasonable time frame.
- Change of Price or Unavailability of a Product: In the case of a change in price or unavailability of a product, you could change your order or request that we send your money to your store credit with Afrimash (that is your Afrimash Wallet). Then, you can use the money to shop on Afrimash later. There is no cash refund for store credits.
- Refunds are approved only after the conditions required for refund are met. When there is no other alternative, a refund will be processed within 3-5 working days.
- To request a refund, after you are logged into Afrimash.com, go to My Account > Orders > Support ... for the order in question. Enter the details of your request and send.
Cancellation / Return / Exchange Policy
- Items eligible for return are only prompted after due consultation with our Customer Experience and Logistics Department before commencing the return process once approved.
- When returning an item, ensure all seals, tags and accessories are left intact and item is in its original packaging.
- We recommend that you keep the original carton and packaging material for a smooth and easy return.
There are no inquiries yet.
You may also like…